Learning Yoga – Tadasana
In our last article in the yoga series, we spoke about Sukhasana. After relaxing the body and mind in Sukhasana, one may start with some exercises which help in stretching the body. Tadasana is named after the palm tree and depicts a posture when body is brought into a position by vertically stretching it to maximum. This is a very good asana to improve one’s posture.
Please go through the method and benefits of doing Tadasana in the following sections.
- Stand in a position of attention with legs only slightly apart to keep the feet parallel and arms straight on the side.
- While breathing in, raise your arms in a forward movement with both arms parallel.
- Keep your arms upward by interlocking your fingers.
- When the arms are fully raised, raise your ankle to get a feeling as if your hands are touching the sky.
- Keep the raised arm position as long as you can while you hold the breath.
- Get back to the original position while breathing out and repeat for as long as you can.
Benefits of Tadasana:
- It is known to be one of the best exercises to increase height.
- Provides strength to arms and legs.
- Improves posture by giving strength to vertebral column and heart.
- It has a positive effect on all organs including heart and lungs.
- Helps women in regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Helps in curing indigestion.
- It reduces the problem of flat feet.
- It develops the ability to concentrate.